NGL Case Study Banner with screenshots of deliverables

National Geographic Learning Case Study

Digital Consultancy & User Research 

While working at Mightybytes, I was the project manager for National Geographic Learning, a publisher of elementary and high school textbooks. In an effort to keep up with the use of technology in schools, the company wanted to focus on publishing digital textbooks. Its internal teams didn’t know how to make the transition from print-based publishing to a digital-first company and sought our expertise for a smooth transition.

Digital Consultancy

Working closely with National Geographic Learning’s internal teams, my team and I examined their existing publishing process to determine where changes needed to be made in order to successfully publish digital products. This included interviewing dozens of existing employees and conducting several workshops with management teams. We also researched the digital textbook industry, learned more about teacher and student expectations, and undertook a competitive analysis.

Screenshots of process documentation for NGL

At the end of the project, we provided National Geographic Learning with a fully revised process, complete with a step-by-step production plan that included over 350 tasks assigned to 25 roles, nearly 20 guides and checklists, and recommendations on internal team structures and new digital roles to hire.

Digital Training

Once a new digital production process had been established, it was important to get the production teams trained. I was involved in creating and facilitating the training sessions. 

Each session was attended by nearly 100 staff members from various production departments. Topics included “An Introduction to the Digital Mindset” and “User Experience, Lean UX, and Human Centered Design.”

User Research

As National Geographic Learning began rolling out digital products, my team and I conducted several rounds of user testing on the digital platform, ebook functionality, and digital content. 

Each round of user testing was unique and required a separate protocol and clickable prototypes. I wrote the protocols, scheduled the users, and conducted interviews in each round of testing. I also wrote the final reports outlining the results of the tests and our recommendations.

Clickable prototypes and SUS scores were used in the user interviews.